A dentist is a professional person who is trained to help people take care of their teeth and gums. If you have some acute or chronic types of teeth problems, mouth and gum swelling and bad odor from your mouth, then it is high time that you consult the right dentist. And if you fail to maintain good oral health you will lose your teeth before their time comes. Dental procedures are expensive so maintaining good oral health is very much necessary.
The Job Of A Dentist
The most important job of a dentist is to help you maintain oral hygiene and health. He will promote the benefits of oral health and hygiene so that as patients you can understand its significance and do as required. When you get the right dentist, you can see for everyday improvement in your gum and teeth. The dentist has advanced tools and equipment with which he/ she treats you.
A trip to the dentist will ensure that you get a proper diagnosis of your teeth, gums and mouth in general. And they perform all this by means of very modern machines, drills, lasers, scalpels, brushes and medical equipment that give them an accurate picture of the actual status of the affected parts.
If you see your is performing any procedure without these basic equipment and machinery you can feel free to enquire.
The Tasks That A Dentist Performs
Now before you can make a trip to the dentist you must be aware of his tasks and responsibilities. You will immediately understand as a layman whether he is performing in the right direction or not. Not only are dental procedures very expensive and painful, but they also take a lot of time and running to and fro.
So be aware of what all your dentists should perform:
- First, he should teach you about dental hygiene
- If you have cavities then he should fill them up for you
- He will remove all the decay and buildup in your teeth
- He will repair or remove the decayed tooth as and what is required
- Will review your X-rays and other diagnostic reports
- Is trained to give you anaesthesia if required
- He is the right person to check your jawbones and teeth
- Will fill your decayed teeth with sealants as required
The Specialities Of A Dentist
Dentists are not what you think they are. They are trained not just to pull out your rotten teeth. Today the scope of dentists has changed and evolved a lot from the previous years. Their scope of work trains them in various specialities like:
- Endodontics – Trained to treat the pulp of the tooth
- Orthodontics – Makes the alignment of the teeth and the jaws straight
- Periodontics – Treats the gums and other issues
- Prosthodontics – deals with cosmetic dentistry and the appearance of teeth
- Paediatric dentistry Trained to treat children’s teeth and related problems
Qualities Of A Good Dentist
You know your dentist is good enough when you see that he has an eye for the finest of details. The right dentist gives you advice on how to go for regular health check of your teeth, how to ensure better gum health and what to do if you have some teeth root problems. His hands should be swift and confident enough while performing the procedures.
His skills and knowledge are something that you must look out for. For that, you must have a fine and perceptive eye. Most of all a dentist has to be patient while dealing with patients. There are many patients who are frightened of needles and procedures, especially the children. Apart from that, all dentists have to be very polite while dealing with patients.