The practice of mindfulness is performed all over the world. But while it may seem simple, the daily mindfulness practice is one that individuals find difficult to perform. Mindfulness has seen a sudden surge of popularity over the last few years, whether it is in the news or performed by physiotherapists and now even in schools. Inner Explorer is an online platform that specializes in the curation of mindfulness programs that can be imbibed in a school’s curriculum.
Inner Explorer is a platform designed to help support the mental health and emotional well-being of students across the country. Their programs are based upon the scientific practice of Mindfulness-Based Social Emotional Learning (MBSEL). These programs are pre-designed so educators will not have to design their own curriculum but will just have to follow the instructions given with the program. Inner Explorer also understands that students in different grades have varying levels of comprehension, taking that into consideration they have designed different programs based upon the age of the students. They have programs for students in kindergarten through high school, each teaching the students the practice in different ways. Not only are these programs developed as per the student’s requirements but they are also available in Spanish for those students who are not fluent in English.
Science shows that the daily practice of mindfulness helps students be more receptive to the learning process. Students go through various stress factors throughout their educational lives, there is pressure stemming from their private lives, academic lives, and also social lives. Many times students do not know how to deal with this kind of stress or do not understand all the layers of emotions they face, but with the practice of mindfulness, they will be able to process their emotions in a healthy way.
When a student is emotionally disturbed or distracted they are unable to focus on what is taught in a classroom. And as they are unable to focus in class, it then later adds on to be a major stress in their lives. It turns out to be a cycle of stress that a student constantly faces. Inner Explorer aims to break this cycle of stress and provide students with a holistic and emotionally stable environment for them to grow and flourish.
With the practice of mindfulness on a daily basis, students learn how to cultivate skills like self-awareness, self-regulation, critical social and emotional skill, and empathy. This practice also helps them process and deal with stress in a healthy way, where stress is no longer debilitating.
Here are some of the benefits of the mindfulness practice:
- Research shows that the practice of mindfulness helps boost memory retention and cognitive abilities. Memory retention is extremely important for students to comprehend and retain what they learn in this classroom. So with the practice of mindfulness students will be able to focus better in the classroom. The working memory capacity of students or any individual increases with the help of mindfulness.
- With the practice of mindfulness, the ability to focus is also increased. It allows a person not to be distracted by their surroundings and perform an activity to the best of their ability.
- Studies have shown that the practice of mindfulness reduces emotional reactivity. Many a time people react to a certain situation emotionally rather than logically. For a student who has not completely got a grasp on their emotions, these instances happen more frequently. An individual is a highly emotional being and with the practice of mindfulness, individuals are able to separate their emotions from situations.
- With the help of self-observation, mindfulness also increases an individual’s cognitive flexibility. Mindfulness promotes self-observation and this helps individuals improve on their behaviors on a daily basis.
- The practice of mindfulness also helps reduce the presence of negative energy and stress in a student’s life. Negative energy has a way of overpowering one’s life to the point where it can be debilitating. For students who have already gone through so many hormonal changes, the pressure from various angles adds up; hence spreading negative energy through their lives. With mindfulness, students will be able to process these emotions better and then reach a level where it no longer impacts them.
While there are many benefits to the practice of mindfulness, the above-listed benefits are the most important ones. Education is the first stepping stone a student has to overcome to reach their full potential. With the Inner Explorer programs and the daily mindfulness practice, students will develop into upstanding individuals.